About the Organization
Canal Alliance exists to break the generational cycle of poverty for Latino immigrants and their families by lifting barriers to their success.
Canal Alliance is a nonprofit champion of immigrants who are challenged by a lack of resources and an unfamiliar environment. Every day, we educate, empower, support, and partner with motivated immigrants to best meet all their unique needs—from putting food on the table, to becoming American citizens, to learning English, to graduating from college.
Canal Alliance strives for a trauma-informed collaborative and inclusive culture. We invest in high quality services, professional development and work-life balance.
The staff attorney will represent ILS clients in a variety of humanitarian immigration matters with an emphasis on representation of unaccompanied children in removal proceedings. The staff attorney will work in a collaborative and trauma informed environment delivering high quality service. This is a full-time, exempt position with a hybrid work model-some remote and some in-office work-. Must be available to attend hearings in San Francisco as needed. The staff attorney reports to the Supervising Attorney.
· Conduct client intake/consultations and evaluate eligibility for immigration benefits
· Represent individuals before the Executive Office of Immigration Review (non-detained children) and before USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) in a variety of humanitarian applications
· Comply with ILS policies, procedures, and best practices including entering data into our case management software (LawLogix), collecting fees, executing contracts with clients, and filing applications in a timely manner
· Compile client data for reporting requirements
· Participate in regular peer review meetings, attend immigration legal trainings and behavioral health trainings as needed
· Participate in other team and agency meetings
Salary starting at $75,000. This is a full-time, exempt position with benefits. Benefits package that includes 3 weeks paid vacation a year, 12 days of sick leave a year and 100% paid employee medical & dental insurance as well as long term disability and an employee assistance program. In addition, there are 16 paid holidays annually, a 403(b)-retirement plan and a Flex cafeteria plan.
· J.D. and a member in good standing of any state bar
· Bilingual -English and Spanish- fluency
· Able to sit for an extended period of time and sufficient mobility to work in standard office/courtroom settings
· Canal Alliance requires all staff be COVID vaccinated with the exception of those who have medical or religious beliefs exemptions
· Prior experience in immigration law
· Excellent attention to detail, organizational, communication, writing and analytical skills
· Ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment and excel in working individually/remotely as well as in a team setting
· Commitment to serving immigrants and sensitivity to the needs of low-income, vulnerable clients
· Experience working with LawLogix or other legal case management software and knowledge in basic PC applications