For new organizations that would like to do nonprofit work, fiscal sponsorship is a cost effective way to:
- Conect your idea or project to an existing community-based organization
- Tap into a pre-existing infrastructure to ensure best practices and compliance
- Allow you to focus on building your brand, your business plan and the deliverables that will drive your mission
What We Look For
Center for Volunteer & Nonprofit Leadership (CVNL) may be a good match for inovative projects that are:
- Based in Northern California and are responsive to current or ongoing community needs
- Have a clear and compelling written plan to effectively address that need
- Have the leadership of at least three qualified individuals willing to serve as advisors
- Have initial funding and a plan for ongoing support
Please read below for a step-by-step guide about how to become a sponsored project of CVNL.
How to Apply
STEP 1: Determine if CVNL is the Right Fit
Consider the following:
- Will your project provide tangible benefits to your community?
- Is your idea and project plan embraced by a group of committed supporters?
- Do you have the sincere drive and enthusiasm to make your charitable ideas work?
- Can you quantitatively and qualitatively demonstrate the need for the services you intend to deliver?
- Can you identify strong funding prospects to help you move ahead?
- Can you articulate your goals and clearly express your plans to achieve them?
STEP 2: Submit a Completed Application to CVNL
Prospective projects must submit an application (see link to application below).
The application requires a project description and a start-up budget outlining the sources of revenue and projected costs for your proposed project over the next year. The Sample Project Budget (Excel) can help you accurately create this budget.
STEP 3: Application is Reviewed by CVNL
All proposals are rigorously reviewed by CVNL staff, board members, and community advisors. We then invite the leaders of projects that are strong candidates for fiscal sponsorship to meet with us, briefly present their projects, and answer questions. Final determination of sponsorship is made by the full board of CVNL.