- This event has passed.
Lunch & Learn: What are donors REALLY looking for?
May 14, 2019 @ 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm
Bring your lunch and join us for our May Leaders’ Lunch & Learn session, where Corbin Howes will talk about strategy and how to operationalize your strategic plan for increased impact.
Many organizations have an impressive mission/vision and maybe even a strategic plan, BUT operating plans are often disconnected from the strategy and mission. In this situation, it is easy, and predictable, to become unfocused and less successful. The result is often an ineffective use of resources (e.g. human resources, financial resources, strategic resources) and reduced impact… and unhappy donors. Over the course of a month or a year many organizations may be doing a LOT, but they might not be furthering their mission. They are not achieving their goals (sometimes the goals are not even clear). The key is “operationalizing” the strategy.
You will hear about important questions and considerations such as:
- Is your Mission and Strategy clear and understood by all employees?
- When was it last reviewed or revised?
- What does success look like?
- Does your organization have explicit goals related to achieving the strategy over 1 year, 3 years, 5 years?
- Is there a defined process for creating and approving an annual financial plan and operating plan?
- Have the resources needed and deadlines been agreed to by all key managers? Are you measuring (reporting) what is most meaningful?
- Has the organization established reviews and discussions of KPIs and results (e.g. weekly, monthly, quarterly)?
Corbin Howes is a strategy and finance consultant with over 20 years of experience developing and executing business strategies along with hands-on management of business and financial operations. Corbin is a collaborative consultant with exceptional ability in translating strategies into focused operating plans with supportive budgets and financial reporting. Prior to consulting, Corbin served as Senior Vice President of Finance & Business Operations at IAC/InterActiveCorp where he assisted in developing and executing the strategies of portfolio businesses including Dictionary.com, Ask.fm and Ask.com. After serving as a key member of the due diligence and acquisition teams, Corbin held senior leadership positions focused on integration, growth, strategic partnerships, and long-term objectives. Corbin holds a Bachelor’s in Finance from Arizona State University and earned a J.D. from Pepperdine University School of Law.